Friday 29 January 2010

Fabulous Friday Brussels Sprout Soup

Poppets, I am soooo tired. All I have for you Singles today is the revelation that you can make my Broccoli Cheddar Soup (see Recipes) with leek stock and brussels sprouts. This means you can have this yummy soup on meatless Fridays even without broccoli.

To substitute chicken stock, take two leeks, wash them throroughly, chop them into half-inch rounds and simmer them in a soup pot of water for 30-40 minutes. Then pour the leek stock through a sieve and chuck out the mushy leeks. Reserve the redolent leek stock. It is so delicious you could eat it alone.

To substitute broccoli, cut the ends off an equal weight of washed brussels sprouts and then cut the sprouts in half. Simmer them in the butter-onion-garlic-pepper-stock mixture until they are tender (about 7 minutes). Then whisk in the flour-water mix and the cheese. Salt to taste. (Check first, though, as the cheese itself is salty.)

This is the first recipe I ever invented all by my little self, so I am extremely proud of myself. And brussels sprouts are very good for you, says wikipedia.

1 comment:

some guy on the steet said...

Congratulations! It's always a joy to imagine a good thing one can make to eat, and then succeed in making it! And then in eating it one feels such an *accomplishment*, too.

Keep 'em coming as they're ready,

-- s.g.o.t.s --